Thursday, January 28, 2010

Put me in coach - I'm ready to play.

My son Josh has a baseball tournament this weekend. He's a pitcher and he's pretty good - and that's not all a proud mom talking. Because of his Cub Scout Pinewood Derby, he wasn't going to be able to attend baseball practice tonight. His dad wanted him to do some throwing before the derby and was planning to come home from work early enough to play a game of catch before scouts. He called me to tell me to have Josh ready to throw when he got home.

"Wait a minute!" I said. "I can throw with Josh."

"Are you sure?" my husband asked. "He can really zing it and he needs to zing it to practice."

Was he challenging my athletic abilities?! Just because I'm a music geek doesn't mean I don't know how to throw and catch a baseball! I mean, come on!!

"Yes, I'm sure."

"OK."

When Josh got home from school I told him that he and I were going to go outside and throw the ball. He looked at me like he didn't understand what I was saying. I assured him that I did indeed, know how to throw and catch a ball. He didn't look like he believed me.

We went out to the garage to get our gloves - yes, OUR gloves! I have the glove that I used when I played t-ball and soft ball when I was a kid. My official George Brett signed glove! (I'm dating myself here.) Josh grabbed a ball and proceeded to gently toss it to me. I zinged it back to him. Surprise #1 for Josh. "Oh my gosh! My mom really can throw a ball."

After several more gentle throws, I stopped the game to reassure Josh that I would be able to catch the ball if he threw it harder. He lobbed it a bit harder. Surprise #2 for Josh. "Oh my gosh! My mom really can catch a ball."

Our game continued for about 30 minutes - long enough to loosen his arm up some. As we were finishing I told Josh, "OK. These last few throw like you are pitching in a game."

Surprise #1 for Mom. "Oh my gosh! He throws really HARD!! He's only 10! He doesn't look that strong!!"

For the record, I caught all four of the pitches he threw. And my hand only strung for an hour afterward.

Blessings!
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Love that! It's so fun to challenge the kids reality! Like the time I dropped a big knife and hopped out of the danger zone just in time. I looked up to see Shaylie looking wide-eyed at me, saying, "Wow, Mom! I didn't know you could jump." Little Stinker! I think that was the day I decided to go on a diet. :)

    ReplyDelete