Saturday, July 10, 2010

Big Brother REALLY is watching!

I have to preface my post with three stories.

1. My maiden name was Sifford. My married name is Seifert. This will be important to remember for the next story.

2.  When Todd and I were first married and heading to St. Cloud, Minnesota my dad co-signed a loan with us for a small Toyota pick up truck.  We had discovered that it probably would be a good idea to have a reliable 4-wheel drive vehicle in an area that receives mounds upon mounds of snow each year.  Upon arriving in Minnesota, the Minnesota Tax Commission required everyone listed on the loan to be on the title of the vehicle.  The similarity of the names (see story #1) caused major issues.  Ultimately, the title was issued like this:

Todd Seifert
Amy Sifford
David Seifert (my dad with my new married name)

3.  My dad passed away in November 1999.

16 years after the messed up title was issued, two cross country moves later and almost 11 years after my dad's death, I receive mail addressed to David Seifert.  This is something that has occurred regularly over the past 16 years.  I have received offers for everything from mobility scooters to invitations to join social organizations to club membership offers.  AARP was so persistent in sending mail to David Seifert - even after I called and requested his name be removed from mailing lists - that I finally called and said that since they seemed intent on him receiving a membership that I would take it and make use of the discounts even though I was only 31 years old!!  The membership invitations stopped.

The latest pamphlet came from a local Utah company telling dad how he can improve the quality of the insulation in MY house .  Keep in mind that I moved to Utah after dad died so he most definitely did not co-sign the loan on this one.  So how in the world does the state of Utah know that David Seifert, er uh, David Sifford even existed?!?!

Quite simply actually.  Somewhere over the past 16 years the Minnesota Tax Commission sold their car title list.  Now that really isn't so surprising.  What is surprising is this.  How in the world is his name associated with me 16 years and two states after it was added to the Minnesota state database and 11 years after his death?  After all, this mail comes addressed to him at my current address in St. George, Utah! 

Did you ever read Orwell's book "1984?"  Remember how we all thought that this would never be possible?  Maybe Orwell was a prophet because it seems like anyone can be tracked down anywhere at any time - even people who don't really exist!

I guess what is really funny about this is this fact: Since David Seifert never really existed, apparently he can't die either.  So in the mean time I guess I will keep watch over the offers he receives at his new home in Utah and, if it's a really good deal, maybe I'll order it.  Maybe since he doesn't really exist he won't have to pay for it either!

Blessings!
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Can you contact AARP for me?
    The best thing out of this story is that your Dad will always be with you no matter where you are, my friend. Good memories with laughs from the past to the future.

    ReplyDelete